The Cultural Counsellor, Johanna Borchardt, presided over the event as the chief guest. On this occasion pupils of CCS and St. Gertrudis mesmerized the guests with their colorful performances. The function was also attended by the Mayor of Ellwangen, Volker Grab, the First Lady, Sabine Grab, and dignitaries from the CCS, St. Gertrudis School Ellwangen and the Central Agency of Schools Abroad (ZfA).
The exchange between the two schools began in the year 2009. The past ten years gave both the schools opportunities for a rich exchange of culture, tradition and ethnicity. The exchange programmes not only bring two distinct countries and schools together, but also create bonds of friendship between teachers, students and their families. This year, 8 pupils and 4 teachers from St. Gertrudis School Ellwangen have visited India as exchange partners of CCS. While addressing the audience, the counsellor emphasized the importance of exchange programmes and said “Exchange programmes give exposure to a foreign culture. The differences in food, language, traditions, and sometimes even clothing and architecture, can open one’s mind to new ways of living and being”.
Carmel Convent is a Christian school for girls and was founded in 1957. The school has 1800 students, out of which nearly 350 students are learning German. German language was introduced in the school in 2010 and is taught from the 6th class onwards. The School became a Part of Pasch Initiative in 2014 under the umbrella of ZfA. ZfA is supporting the school with native speakers as well as learning materials.
In 2015, Carmel Convent School became the first school in India whose students were awarded the German Language Diploma.