Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

30.11.2022 - Article

Do you have queries related to Schengen Visa and/or National Visa? Maybe your question has already been answered here!

Important information

FAQ Schengen Visa

A Schengen visa is a short stay visa allowing its holder to circulate in the Schengen area. The Schengen area covers 26 countries, the “Schengen States”, without border controls. These countries are:
Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
Please note, however, that you must always apply at the Embassy/ Consulate of the country which is your primary destination.
Schengen visa holders can stay no more than 90 days in any 180 days period in the territory of the Schengen states. The Schengen visa does not cover the EU Member States Ireland, Cyprus, Croatia, Romania and Bulgaria. Travelling to these countries may require a separate visa.
Since a Schengen visa covers all 26 Schengen States, it is not necessary to apply at different Embassies/Consulates for the same period of stay.

Schengen countries are: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
Travels to the above countries are covered with a Schengen visa. Please note, however, that you must always apply at the Embassy/ Consulate of the country which is your primary destination.

The application process can be done in three easy steps.

- Determine your purpose of stay (see question 17), i.e. business, tourism, visit. Information regarding the required documents can be found in our information leaflets.
- Register through the visa application center. There you will also find up to date official information relating to the application process.
- Book your appointment with the application center online (see question 18) and submit your application and biometric data in person.

The 90 days of a legal stay are calculated through the last 180 days period and begins on the date you first entered a Schengen country. From that date (control date) you have to look at the previous 180 days and calculate how many days are used according to any previous stays (through entry and exit stamps).
The short-stay visa calculator can be found on the website of the European Commission. Here you can check your previous stays and confirm whether another entry is possible.

Whether you are required to apply for a Schengen visa or not depends on your nationality. A list of countries whose citizens require a Schengen visa or whose citizens are exempt from such requirements can be found on the website of the German Foreign Office.

The vast majority of foreign travelers benefit from the “transit privilege” - if during a stopover at a German airport, you do not leave the International Airport Area and if the destination is not in a Schengen country, you do not need a transit visa.
However, if for some reason you need to enter the Schengen area during your stopover (for example to change terminals or if the destination is in a Schengen country), you may require a visa; please plan for this. You should apply for a visa well before you travel!
Nationals of the following countries do not have the transit privilege and therefore require an airport transit visa (category A) for transit at a German airport:
• Afghanistan
• Bangladesh
• Democratic Republic of the Congo
• Eritrea
• Ethiopia
• Ghana
• India
• Iran
• Iraq
• Jordan *
• Lebanon
• Mali
• Nigeria
• Pakistan
• Somalia
• South Sudan
• Sri Lanka
• Sudan
• Syria
• Turkey *
* certain exceptions apply to these countries
Exceptions from the requirement to hold an airport transit visa:
• Holders of valid visas and national residence permits from EU and Schengen countries
• Holders of certain national residence permits from the following countries: Andorra, Japan, Canada, San Marino, United States of America
• Holders of valid visas from the EEA countries (the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland) and visas issued by Japan, Canada and the United States of America

Your Schengen visa includes a ban on employment.
If you are travelling to Germany on behalf of your employer to work, even if only briefly, clarify with the Embassy/Consulate whether you need a work permit for this purpose or whether this work is permitted without approval. The most common examples of activities permitted without approval are training/further training, interpreters, researchers, setting up and looking after exhibition stands or warranty work after delivery of machines/equipment. These activities are permitted without approval for up to 90 days a year (= max. three months within a year) and should be explicitly noted as a remark on your visa label.
In some cases, however, the Federal Employment Agency must be involved before applying for a visa (e.g. for a specialist internship or personnel exchange). Your German business partner/inviter can obtain information on any work permit that may be required from the Federal Employment Agency.

As per Article 9 and 23 Visakodex, the application can be submitted max. 6 months and up to 15 days before your intended travel date. If more than one trip is planned, a Schengen visa with multiple entries and a longer duration can be applied for.
No visa can be applied for without specific travel plans or purpose of stay.
The processing time is 15 days; questions regarding the status of an application will not be answered.
During the peak season longer waiting times for submission could occur. Therefore please submit your application well in advance to ensure you can start your travel as planned.

Please file your application for a Schengen visa (see question 1) with the Embassy/ Consulate of the country which is your primary destination.
a) If your only destination is Germany, please submit your application with the responsible German Embassy or Consulate.
b) If you are travelling through different Schengen States, please file your application with the Embassy / Consulate of the member state in which you will be spending the majority of your stay (main destination).
c) In the event that no main destination can be determined, please apply at the Embassy/ Consulate of the country, in which you enter the Schengen area (port of arrival).

Please apply for your Visa at the Embassy or Consulate in whose consular district you are you have your permanent residence in. If you reside outside India, the application has to be filed at the Embassy or Consulate where you live. It is not possible to apply while you are on holidays in India or to apply by post.
If you are a third country national (i.e. neither German nor Indian citizen) living in India, you have to show your valid residence permit in order to apply.
Please see question 11 for details of which Visa Section is responsible for your city of residence in India.

Apply for a Schengen visa at the German Embassy/Consulate in whose jurisdiction your place of residence lies.
The German missions abroad in India have outsourced the application procedure for Schengen visas to their service partner VFS GLOBAL. The service partner runs visa centres in major cities of India and assists you through the entire application procedure, advises you on the completion of the application documents, collects the visa fee, takes care of the acceptance of the application with fingerprinting and the return of the passport after it is processed by the Embassy/Consulate.
The quickest and most convenient way to apply for the Schengen visa is to go to one of the visa acceptance centres of VFS (see Question 13).
Application forms and visa information can be downloaded free of charge from the website of the relevant mission abroad.

Indian nationals and nationals of other countries legally residing in India can apply.

People who do not reside in India may only apply if they are legally present in India and can present a justification for lodging an application in India rather than in their country of residence.

Our Service Partner VFS Global has various application centers within India. You can submit your application for a German Schengen Visa at the visa center responsible for your residence area. Contact details and address information can be found online at vfs global

The fee for a Schengen Visa Application is 80 Euros. Children below the age of 6 are free, whereas the application fee for children between 6 and 12 is 40 Euros. Additionally a Service fee for VFS Global applies and has to be paid in rupees. The application and service fees are non-refundable in case of a refusal.
An additional fee for postage applies.

The Visa Code standardised the assessment steps which must be followed in the visa procedure: a) plausibility and traceability of the purpose of the journey (see question 17) in Germany, b) financing of living and travel costs, c) willingness of the visa holder to leave the Schengen area before the visa expires, and d) validity of a travel health insurance policy for the entire Schengen area and for the entire duration of the stay (see question 19).
All the information provided in the visa application form and in the attached documents must be true.
A Schengen visa cannot be issued to a person whose entry into the Schengen area would endanger security or public order in Europe or who does not fulfil one or more of the above-mentioned conditions for obtaining a visa. If a visa application is rejected, the applicant will be informed about the reasons for the rejection. Every applicant has the right to appeal against the decision of the Embassy/Consulate within 30 days.

The application form can be found on the websites of all German Missions abroad, and is available free of charge. Please complete the form online on your computer/ smartphone/ tablet. It will guide you automatically through the application form to ensure it is complete and free of errors. This way an accurate and speedy entry of your data is assured.
A blank Schengen Visa application form can also be found in various languages on the website of the Federal Foreign Office.
After completion you have to print the form and sign it in three places. The signature has to match with your signature in your passport. The original signed application form has to be submitted at the time of application.
If the applicant is still a minor both parents/ guardians have to sign the form.
Please don’t forget to fill question 27 in the form, which asks if your fingerprints have previously been taken.

One of the first questions you have to answer in the Schengen visa application form is the one about the purpose of your journey, i.e. why are you travelling to Germany or the Schengen region, what is the reason for your journey and what is the reason for your trip. The actual purpose of your journey will determine the documents with which you need to apply for your Schengen visa.
Important: the purpose of travel stated in the application documents must correspond to your actual travel plans. Deception about the purpose of the trip (e.g. applying for a tourist visa for a planned business trip) and false statements will lead to a rejection of the visa application. Do not provide pro forma proof of the purpose of your trip, but rather provide information about the actual travel plans.
The accompanying documents suitable for your visa application are listed in the information sheets in the Downloads section, depending on the purpose of your journey.

You can schedule an appointment for the visa application with our service partner VFS - Global.

A valid travel health insurance is a prerequisite for issuing a Schengen Visa. The insurance should cover the entire duration of stay and should be valid for the entire Schengen region. In addition to the period of validity of the insurance, the name of the person insured must also be listed. The sum insured must be totaling a minimum of 30,000 EUR for all risks including medical cost for outpatient and inpatient illness, repatriation in case of illness and repatriation in event of death. 
Check your insurance policy for all the details and also make sure that all the points written above are expressly mentioned in the insurance policy. Moreover, get a printout of the policy in English as well.
It is advisable to carry a travel health insurance covering a flexible time period, so that the insurance cover exists, even if your travel plan is postponed by a few days.
In case you are applying for a one-year visa (see Question 27), proof of travel health insurance is only required for the first planned stay in the Schengen region.
Keep a copy of the insurance policy along with you while travelling.
For travellers over 70 years of age, travel health insurance policies issued in India often apply restrictions that no longer meet the Schengen specifications and therefore cannot then be accepted.

Your passport should be valid for a minimum of 3 months after the end of your Schengen travel. Your passport should have 2 free pages for the visa sticker and the entry/exit stamp. The passport should contain your original signature and should not be damaged.
If your passport expires within the next 6 months, the visa application should be made with a new passport. Often, issuing a longer term multiple entry visa is not possible due to the limited validity of the passport.

For a Schengen Visa application, you must submit a recent passport sized photograph, no older than 6 months. The photo should be 45 x 35mm in size, with high resolution and a white background. The frontal view of the photo should include the chin and neck, and the face and eyes should not be covered. About 70-80% of the photo should be covered with your face.  
In case the photo is older than 6 months or if it doesn’t meet the specifications mentioned above, your visa application will be rejected and returned unprocessed.

The invitation letter, printed on an official letterhead of the company, should include the personal details of the invitee, the business reason for the invitation and further details about the planned stay and who would bear the cost of the business trip.
Please send the invitation letter, with the date and original signature, to your business partner in India, and not directly to the Foreign Office/respective embassy.
In case the invitation letter doesn’t arrive in the post on time, the business partner in India can apply for a visa with a scanned copy of the invitation letter and print out of the email through which the scanned copy was sent. In principle, the original invitation letter must be submitted. Whether a scanned copy of the letter is sufficient to process the visa application, would be decided on an individual basis after checking the complete visa application documents.

The invitation letter should contain your address and contact details, the personal details of the invitee, the purpose of the trip, details about the planned stay and who would bear the cost of the trip.
The original invitation letter should then be sent, with date and original signature, to the invitee, and not directly to the Embassy. If you would like to commit to cover the cost of the travel and the stay of the applicant, you can submit a declaration of commitment (see Question 25).

A Schengen visa would only be issued if the applicant can prove that he/she has sufficient funds for his/her trip and stay (acc. to Art.21 Visakodex). These funds can be shown by submitting the extracts for the past three months from the applicant’s salary account and other bank accounts, showing regular income.The bank statements must be issued and stamped by the bank. Credit card statements cannot be accepted. Other types of financing are also possible, for example if the employer pays for the travel and stay expenses.

If the applicant doesn’t have sufficient funds to finance the trip, the person sending the invitation from Germany can take over the financing of the trip with a declaration of commitment (Verpflichtungserklärung). The host must submit the declaration of commitment to the competent authority at his place of residence. In Germany, the immigration office or the citizen’s office is usually responsible for issuing such a declaration. Please contact the relevant authority to find out about the documents required for this purpose. The original and a copy of the declaration of commitment must be submitted for visa application. The original would be returned to the applicant along with the passport and the same should be carried by the applicant on the trip.
For information on a border crossing certificate that the immigration office may request when the declaration of commitment is issued, please see Question 40.

The parent child relationship can be proven with a birth certificate. The birth certificate must be submitted along with a translation. For other civil status documents that are not issued in Germany or in India, other formal requirements are applicable (e.g. Apostille for certificates from USA/Hong Kong). International civil status certificates from other EU countries are generally accepted without any further formal requirements.

If you travel frequently to the Schengen area for work or family reasons, you can apply for an annual multiple entry visa. For the same, you must indicate in the application form the annual period with the planned travel dates, with planned 90 days of stay and “Multiple” entries. Also fill in the additional declaration for the multiple year visa. The frequent need to travel should be justified in the application documents, i.e., in the letter of invitation and the employer confirmation.
Moreover, in case of multiple year visa, apply for your Schengen Visa at the Embassy/Consulate of the country which is the primary destination of your future trip. 
There is no entitlement to the issue of a multiple year visa. Long term Schengen visas are usually issued to reliable, frequent travellers with previously properly used Schengen visas. It also depends on the validity of the passport as well as the documents proving the purpose of the trip (see Question 17), the financing and the willingness to return to the home country.
When applying for an annual visa, proof of travel health insurance (see Question 19) is only required for the first planned stay. However, you are obligated to have a valid insurance for each subsequent stay and to present the insurance cover at the entry checkpoint. By signing the application form, you confirm that you have been informed about the same. Likewise, proof of the actual purpose of the stay and the financing must be carried along with each new trip in the Schengen area.
With an annual visa, you are not bound by the purpose of your trip to the Schengen area for your future trip. For example, if you have been issued an annual visa for business purposes, you can still use this visa for visiting or tourist purposes for future trips to the Schengen area, as long as you are carrying the relevant supporting documents for the respective purpose of travel.

Minors are all persons who have not yet reached the age of 18. In addition to the documents required to prove the purpose of the trip, a minor must also submit a birth certificate (with translation if required), a letter from the school and copies of the parents’ passports. Depending upon whether the minor is travelling alone or is being accompanied by someone and how the trip is financed, additional documents can be required.

Legally, 15 calendar days are the standard processing time for a Schengen visa application. Status queries will not be answered during the standard processing time.
During the peak travel season, there may be a waiting time before the application can be submitted to the Embassy/Consulate. Since Indians need a visa to enter Germany, it is recommended to submit the application early.
If you apply through our service partner VFS Global, you should allow 1-2 additional days due to the transfer of the application from the VFS centre to the Embassy. You can check where your application/passport is located at any time via the VFS Global internet portal.
Please make sure that your documents are complete, correct in content and comprehensible so that your visa application can be processed quickly. The processing time may be extended if a more intensive checking of the documents or further research is required.  Your active cooperation in compiling the documents will help to shorten the processing time of the application. The involvement of commercial visa agencies is not necessary.

Please check the information on the visa sticker immediately after receiving it for errors, in particular the spelling of the surname, first name and the passport number. Any errors should be reported immediately to the issuing visa office.
Please note that when visa stickers are printed, ink stains may appear in the printing area of the photograph. Even if the visa sticker appears to have smudged ink, it is valid and can confirm your identity as a visa holder. The digitised photo can be viewed by border authorities in the Visa Information System. The embassy has carried out a quality control before returning the passport. It is not necessary to contact the issuing visa office in this case.
In general, your visa contains the following information: It is stamped by the visa office of the mission abroad, contains your full name, passport number and your current photo. What you should pay particular attention to is the approved number of days of stay, which you must adhere to. The period of validity of the visa is also indicated, i.e. the period during which you may enter and stay in Schengen.
Important: You may not enter or leave the country before or after the period of validity and you may not exceed the permitted number of days of stay.
If there are any special features to be taken into account for your stay, e.g. permission for employment, these are noted in the bottom information line.
Once a visa has been issued, it cannot be changed. For each change to a visa already issued, a new application must be submitted, subject to a fee, and a new visa sticker must be issued.  Therefore, please make sure in advance that you state the correct arrival and departure dates on the application form and that these dates are also covered by your travel health insurance.

The Visa Code allows a certain flexibility in your travel plans. To enable you to adjust your travel plans at short notice if necessary, the validity of the Schengen visa is usually 15 days longer than the days of stay you have applied for (see Question 30).  The permitted days of stay are not automatically extended by 15 days, only the validity of the visa is calculated more generously than applied for in case your trip is slightly delayed. The number of days of stay have been requested by you, are supported by documentary evidence and must be covered by travel health insurance (see question 19); they are considered to be the maximum possible days before the expiry of which you must leave the Schengen area in an orderly manner, irrespective of the period of validity of the visa.

Your still valid Schengen visa for multiple entry in the previous passport can be used in combination with your newly issued, valid passport for further travel.
You can also apply for the transfer of your Schengen visa from your old passport into your new passport. To do so, please contact the German mission responsible for your place of residence by email.

You are obliged to leave the Schengen region before your Schengen visa expires. For this reason, an extension of the Schengen visa in Germany is normally not provided for, but only in a few, very special exceptional cases (unforeseen travel obstacle). The decision as to whether your stay in Germany can be extended lies solely with the competent alien authority at your German place of residence.

There is no entitlement to the issue of a Schengen visa. The visa can only be issued after a positive examination of the requirements for issuing the visa.
Even the Schengen visa issued in your passport does not yet entitle you to enter the Schengen area. Whether you are allowed to enter the country is ultimately decided by the border official at the airport. Particularly in order to allow free travel within the Schengen area, the control of the external borders is rather strict. During the border control it can happen that visa details are questioned. Or the border official may find that a visa was obtained by fraud using false information. That is why it is very important to decide from which country you apply for your Schengen visa, so that you can travel without any worries! Avoid misunderstandings at the border control or a refusal at the border by applying for your visa correctly, with true information about the purpose and destination of your journey. Make sure you follow the rules of jurisdiction regarding which Schengen country you apply to for your visa and carry documents with you in addition to your passport that prove the purpose of your journey and show where you are travelling to and why.

Yes, holders of a Schengen visa can stay for up to 90 days per period of 180 days in the entire Schengen area (see question 2) and thus also in Germany, provided this is covered by the permitted period of use of the visa.
It is important that the visa was issued by the Embassy/Consulate of the country in which your main destination is located and that you are staying there for the most part (see question 9). The place of entry and exit is not crucial.

Holders of a Schengen visa may stay in the Schengen area for up to 90 days per period of 180 days. They can therefore travel to other countries in the Schengen area (see Question 2) in addition to Germany. The place of entry and exit is not important. You can therefore enter and leave the Schengen area at any airport or border crossing point.
It is important that the visa was issued by the Embassy/Consulate of the country in which your main destination is located and that you are staying there for the most part (see Question 9).

Your biometric data is your fingerprints of all ten fingers and your recent passport photo, which is stored in the Visa Information System (VIS) when you apply for a Schengen visa.
In order to electronically capture the fingerprints of every applicant older than 12 years of age, a personal appearance for the application is therefore required. The procedure is simple and discreet and takes only a few minutes. The submission of the complete application with the biometric data forms a unit and cannot be separated over time.
The fingerprints are stored in the central VIS database for 5 years. If you reapply for a Schengen visa within 59 months, the fingerprints can be copied from the central database for the subsequent application, making a personal interview unnecessary. Only after the 59 months have elapsed do fingerprints have to be submitted again.
Your data in the VIS is protected and is subject to strict data protection regulations of the European Union and Germany. As this is your personal data, you can request information at any time about which data on your person has been stored in the VIS by which Schengen country. Information on this can be found on the Schengen visa application form or on the website of the European Commission.

The information given in this FAQ question applies to the following groups of people:
• Spouses /civil union partners of German nationals
• minor unmarried children of German nationals
• Parents of underage German nationals
• Spouses/life partners of EU/EEA citizens/Swiss nationals
• relatives of the EU/EEA citizen/Swiss citizen under 21 years of age or their spouses/partners in descending line
• Relatives of the EU/EEA citizen/Swiss national or their spouses/partners in the ascending and descending line, provided they are dependent on them.
If you belong to this group of people and require a visa for a stay in the Schengen area, you can apply for your visa for Germany through our service partner - VFS.GLOBAL.
No visa fees are charged for applying at the visa center although a service fee must be paid.
For children of an Indian national who have acquired German citizenship at birth because the other parent is German, the regulations of the Visa Codex do not apply, a Schengen visa cannot be issued. As citizens of the European Union they enjoy unrestricted freedom of movement within the framework of the relevant directives and laws in implementation of the EC/EU Treaties and do not require a visa to enter the territory of the Federal Republic of Germany. In that case, please contact the consular section and inquire about the issuance of a German passport for your child.

The border crossing certificate serves as proof to the Aliens authority in Germany that you have left the Schengen area in good time before the visa expires. Please have the border crossing certificate stamped by the border authorities at the Schengen border when you leave the country.
If you have not done so, please bring the border crossing certificate from the aliens' registration office and your passport personally to the Embassy/Consulate responsible for you in India during the Legal and Consular Section's office hours without making an appointment in advance. We will certify your departure free of charge and return the letter to the Foreigners' Registration Office.

In principle, the applicant has the following options after receiving a rejection:
• he/she may submit a new visa application with complete, convincing and verifiable documentation, or
• he may object to the refusal within one month of notification of the refusal and request that the application be reconsidered (remonstration),
• file a suit against the refusal before the Berlin Administrative Court.
After a rejection, it is possible at any time to submit a new application with complete, convincing and verifiable documents. The procedure is exactly the same as for the previous application. Compared to a remonstration, a new, complete application is often the quicker way to obtain a visa. In this case, check all documents again carefully before submission.
Often the visa office has to reject a visa application because the application documents were incomplete, no longer valid, did not match the travel period or place (hotel or flight reservations) or the main reason for travel was incorrectly stated or hidden (documents for tourism are not suitable for business trips or family visits).
If you have documents prepared by third parties (travel agencies etc.), also check that they are prepared properly and in your interest. The Embassy/Consulate expressly does not require the involvement of travel agencies or visa agencies. Any errors made there will be attributed to the applicant.
You or your authorised representative may, within one month of the date of receipt of the rejection of your application, lodge a written appeal against such rejection with the visa section of the respective Embassy/Consulate, requesting that your application be reconsidered.
The remonstration letter can be sent to the visa section of the Embassy/Consulate as a PDF attachment by email.
In case of remonstration procedure, please note the following:
• Format: the remonstration letter must be in German or in English; it should mention the application number, passport number and contact details; personal signature of the applicant
• Content: (re)explanation of the purpose of the journey; if necessary, comments on the reasons for the refusal; if necessary, submission of additional documents or letters of support from third parties
• Processing: The procedure can take up to 3 months. You will be informed of the result after the application has been reviewed. During an ongoing remonstration procedure it is usually not possible to issue a new visa, as the completion of the procedure must be awaited.
• Authorisation of third parties: If the applicant wishes to authorise third parties to carry out the remonstration, this must be done by means of a written authorisation signed by the applicant. Letters of remonstration and enquiries from unauthorised third parties will not be processed further by the visa section.
The visa section will then review the process again. If the visa is granted, you will be contacted. If the visa application is rejected again after the review, you will be informed in detail of the reasons for the rejection in a remonstration letter in German. An appeal against the remonstration decision can be filed with the Berlin Administrative Court within one month of receipt.

With every application for a Schengen visa, the purpose of the journey must be clearly explained with documents. If the Embassy/Consulate's examination reveals discrepancies or incorrect information, the condition for “plausibility and comprehensibility of the purpose of the journey (see question 17) in Germany” is not fulfilled.  Thus, the Schengen visa cannot be issued.

For information on data processing and data protection, please click here.

Applicants for Schengen visas may lodge complaints about the conduct of consular staff, the external service provider VFS.GLOBAL or the visa application process. To do so, please select as department “Visa matters” in the contact form. Please note that complaints can only be submitted in German or English; we cannot follow up on complaints in languages other than German or English.
We will investigate your complaint as soon as we receive it.
Your question is still not answered? Then please contact us directly.

In contrast to an internship, a job shadowing/fellowship/“Hospitation” is not an employment relationship but is characterized by the acquisition of knowledge and experience in an area of activity without time and content specifications and without legal and actual integration into the company/hospital. Medical activities may not be performed within the scope of job shadowing. The performance of medical activities (including routine activities such as taking blood samples, closing wounds, assisting in operations or examining patients) without either a German approbation or license acc. to Art. 10 BÄO (German Federal Medical Regulations)/(license to practice) is punishable by law. If you are planning on doing the above mentioned, you have to present the approbation or license already when applying for the visa. Not presenting this, might lead to a rejection of your application.
If a “Hospitation” is planned for a period of up to a maximum of 90 days within 180 days, you need to apply for a Schengen visa. In this case, please refer to the information on the checklist Business.
For internships, please have a look at the information provided on the checklist Internship + Training. Internships are generally considered as “work” and require special approvals of the Federal Employment Agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit) in Germany also for short term stays. This applies also to medical internships.

FAQ National Visa


Kindly contact our service provider VFS Global who is handling the booking of appointments.

In case you are residing in the consular district of the German Consultes General in Bangalore and Chennai and the booking is via RK-Termin website: close your browser session and start a new one to try again.

Please click here for more information on how to book your appointment.

Please book one appointment per applicant.

The German Missions understand that your travel is important to you. However, Germany applies a strict policy of transparency and equal treatment. Please understand that early appointments can only be granted in extreme medical or humanitarian situations. Should this be the case, please send an email to the German Mission in whose consular district you reside and inform us on the hardship you are experiencing, attaching relevant proof, and we will duly assess your case.

Yes. Every long-term traveler needs a visa and a separate appointment has to be booked to apply for the visa.


Your relative/friend may accompany you up to the gate of the German Mission‘s visa section. For security reasons and space limitations, you will however have to appear for your visa interview by yourself. Our staff is multilingual, so do not be afraid that you will not understand a question.

No. You have to apply at the German mission in which consular district you have your place of residence. The list of consular districts can be found here.

In order to apply for a long-term visa, you need either the original documents or copies certified by a German authority. Certifications by Indian authorities or notary publics will not be accepted.

If you no longer possess a document in the original, you can apply for a new one with the competent authority.

Please understand that we do not have the capacity to double check your application prior to your appointment, neither can we give binding information regarding individual applications in advance. Please refer to the checklist of the visa category you apply for and make sure you have all the necessary documents. Your documentation will be checked during your appointment.

If your name is different from the way it is mentioned in the documents you are presenting for your visa application, please present as proof a corresponding notice in two newspapers and / or the publication of your name change in the Gazette of India.

Also, your name should be the same in all your documents that were issued after the name change happened, e.g. marriage.

Please note that if the checklist of required documents for the visa category that you are applying for mentions a birth certificate, then it is a mandatory document.

If you do not already have one, then you can apply for a late registration of birth at the competent registrar's office.

Attestation or apostille of Indian documents is not recognized by German authorities and is therefore not required for visa purposes. However, your documents might have to be verified for its genuineness.

If this is the case, it is mentioned in the corresponding checklist of the visa category you are applying for. For more information on document verification, please click here.

The acceptable modes of payment for the visa fees varies in different German Embassy/Consulates in India. Please refer to our National Visa webpage​ (Step-5) to know more about which modes of payments are acceptable in respective Embassy/Consulates.

Unfortunately, there is no way to track your application online. Depending on the category of your national visa application, processing may take several months.

Status inquiries will not be answered within the first three months after filing your application, as this increases the processing time considerably.

You will be notified on the result of your application automatically once it has been decided upon.

Please contact your local aliens authority (Ausländerbehörde) for detailed information. They will advise you if your residence permit / Fiktionsbescheinigung can be extended or if you need to apply for a return visa.

Unfortunately not. The automated booking system relies on the information that you have entered. Please always be careful to enter only correct data. If the purpose of your stay changes, you are required to cancel your appointment and book a fresh one in the correct category. Bear in mind that your booked category always has to match your intention of stay – otherwise your appointment booking will become invalid!

Upon receiving an official letter rejecting a visa application the applicant has three possibilities:

1. The applicant, at any point of time, may apply again for a visa.

2. Request for a re-assessment of the visa application. This procedure is called remonstration. It is free of charge. You have to submit a signed remonstration letter to the competent mission within a month upon receiving the rejection.

3. The applicant may file a law suit against the refusal. The application will then be re-assessed by the administrative court in Berlin.

In order to issue a national visa, the visa section always has to check that the health insurance covers the starting date. Therefore, please make sure that your health insurance matches your tentative travel date!

If the health insurance starts later than your tentative travel date, the visa section will have to insert the later starting date as per the health insurance.


Unfortunately not. The booking system is completely automated and therefore no manual interference can be done on the visa section’s side. Please inform your university already about your late arrival.

The confirmation of your university is only sufficient if the university has individually tested your language skills and confirms the same for your case only.

Please be informed that otherwise a recognized English certificate is obligatory. The visa section has the right to ask for the same - this requirement cannot be replaced.

Do NOT provide exemption letters or language of instruction certificates! The visa section will not consider them and might reject your application, if you fail to cooperate.

For your student application, we need to check that you are able to finance your stay up to one year.

This is the reason why the visa section also needs to check the payment of your tuition fees.

Please note: the first two semesters of tuition fees have to be paid.

NO. Only if you are a Bachelor student holding a conditional admission letter (“bedingte Zulassung/Zulassung mit Bedingungen”) from a German university or not presenting a TestAS-certificate with a result equal or higher to 100 points in the core test (“Kerntest”) or do not have an aggregate score 90% in 12th Standard (CBSE or Regional Board), then you have to apply at the Consulate. Otherwise, you are free to apply at VFS!

The Consulate accepts multiple blocked accounts from several banks. You can find a list of the accepted blocked accounts on the website of the Federal Foreign Office. The visa sections accept: Expatrio, Coracle, Fintiba, Deutsche Bank, RemitX, CIFL, Kotak Mahindra, ICICI and Dropmoney. There is no preference; you are free to choose any of these.

An education loan is additional to the blocked account. Therefore, there are no specific criteria from the Consulate as to the amount of the loan.

In order to submit sufficient proof of financing your livelihood in Germany, you need to cover 861 euros per month (in 2022). If the stipend covers 861 euro per month already, there will be no need for a blocked account anymore.

If, however, the stipend only finances the tuition fees, you will be asked to submit proof of finance in addition to your stipend, thus opening a blocked account or handing in an official sponsorship letter issued by a German authority in Germany (VE - Verpflichtungserklärung).

We do not accept the Indian “Affidavit” of support as a replacement for an official sponsorship letter (VE) or blocked account. That is an additional document.

Duales Studium is always student visa category. We do not classify depending on the relation of practical/theoretical classes.

There is no specific format for a cover letter. You should depict your motivation on why you would like to study exactly in Germany. Be it by hand or computer – that is irrelevant.

However, it has to come from your end and cannot be drafted by a third party.

Family Reunion

Yes, you may already book an appointment for a date shortly after your marriage. Please make sure, though, that you have all the necessary documents together by the time of your appointment.

It depends. If your spouse is highly skilled and holds an EU Blue Card, an ICT Card, or if your spouse is a scientist, you are considered “dependent” if you apply along with your spouse or if you follow him/her within six months of his relocation.

In case your spouse holds another residence permit and / or you relocate more than six months after his/her arrival in Germany, please apply in the “family reunion” category.

If the person holding a residence permit / visa as per § 16b AufenthG has already been married to his*her spouse at the moment of issuing the permit / visa and if this person’s intended duration of stay exceeds one year, the spouse as well as the children are eligible for family reunion.

If the marriage was solemnized after the issuance of visa, it will be at the discretion of the clearance officer only, whether family reunion will be approved or not.

In order to apply for family reunion, please read the respective checklist thoroughly.

Yes. As a spouse of a German national, it is mandatory to present an A1 certificate while applying for family reunion.

No. As a spouse of an EU national, an A1 certificate is not required.


It depends on the annual salary that you will receive: You can apply for Blue Card, if you receive more than 43.992 € for Natural Scientists, Mathematicians, Engineers, Doctors and IT professionals (also known as MINT professions) // 46.530 € for applicants over 45 years of age // 56.400 € for all other professions

Yes. The applicant has the right to change his*her purpose of stay. The immigration offices in Germany will check the requirements for the change of purpose of stay and will then issue a new residence permit accordingly.

It is very important to acquire prior approval by the immigration office in Germany. Otherwise, the applicant might face legal consequences!

Top of page