First please check whether you require an airport transit visa. Indian nationals generally require an airport transit visa for the Schengen area. This visa allows a short stop-over at an international airport only, without leaving the airport’s international transit area or overnight stay in a hotel. If you need to leave the international transit area (e.g. in order to catch a connecting flight at another airport to leave the Schengen area), please apply for a regular Schengen visa.
a) Indian nationals holding a valid visa or residence permit from a member state of the Schengen area or Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia, Cyprus, Liechtenstein, Ireland, Canada, Japan, USA (except for holders of an US “Advanced Parole Document”)
b) Indian nationals holding a valid residence permit for Andorra, Monaco or San Marino
c) Diplomatic passport holders
generally do not require an airport transit visa.
Before submitting your application at your local Visa Application Centre or German Mission, please prepare the following documentation:-
- Valid passport (issued within the last 10 years and valid for at least another year as of date of visa application; passports with observations regarding the front data page cannot be accepted) with at least two empty pages
- Application form & declarations duly signed
- 1 copy of your passport’s data page (A4 size copy)
- Copy of the valid visa/residence permit for your final destination, if applicable
- Flight reservation
- 1 passport picture according to biometric specifications, not older than 6 months
All documents need to be presented in the given order in original. Should you wish to keep any original, kindly provide a copy (A4 size). Please DO NOT staple any documents.
Please note that the German Missions reserve the right to ask for additional documents or personal appearance for an interview in some cases.
Submission of the above mentioned documents does not guarantee that a visa is granted. Submission of incomplete documentation or refusal to appear for a visa interview may result in the rejection of your application.
Download this page as pdf.