Before filling out the application form (step 2) and booking an appointment (step 3),
please prepare the following documentation for your job-seeker visa:
- valid passport (issued within the last 10 years and with at least 12 months validity left at the time of submission of the application)
- 1 copy of your passport’s data page (A4 size copy)
- 3 passport pictures according to biometric specifications
- cover letter from applicant explaining the exact course of action to find employment in Germany as well as further career plans should stay in Germany be unsuccessful
- Proof of academic qualification and work experience (from a German university or equivalent to a German academic degree) and relevant previous work experience certificates for future employment in Germany (for recognition of non-German degrees kindly refer to www.anabin.de)
- Personal CV containing full education and employment history
- Proof of accomodation in Germany for the initial period of 30 days
- Proof of financial means to cover the costs for the time of your stay by one of the following documents:
- Blocked account for the sum of 5,604 Euros
- “Verpflichtungserklärung” (formal obligation letter) by sponsor living in Germany
- bank account etc.
- Proof of personal status in India birth certificate of applicant, Aadhar card (with English translation) if applicable
Proof of health insurance
ONE of the following documents:
• Proof of a private German health insurance which fulfills the below mentioned requirements and starts at your tentative travel date
• Proof of a public German health insurance, which consists of a letter from your German healthcare provider, as well as a travel health insurance for the first three weeks.
• Proof of a private foreign (including Indian) health insurance including the policy you choose which fulfills the below mentioned requirements and starts at your tentative travel date
When does a health insurance meet the requirement of being equivalent to a German public health insurance?
• No limit to the reimbursement in case of sickness
• If the insured person becomes sick, no deductible higher than 300 € per year can be demanded
• Preexisting conditions must be included
• No clause for termination regarding the insured person reaching a certain age, change of residence permit or loss of residence permit
• The Insurance cover cannot have any time limit (or needs to be automatically renewed)
- Demand Draft or cash for verification of documents unless all documents have been verified before
Note: the German Consulate in Mumbai accepts demand drafts only
Click here to find out about the charges for the verification of all documents of Indian origin.
The verification procedure will be initiated and carried out by the Embassy or the locally competent Consulate. The process of verification takes between 8 to 12 weeks.
Please prepare THREE application sets with the above-mentioned documents and bring your original certificates along.
Kindly note that the German Mission reserves the right to ask for additional documents. This applies -among others - for certain professions (e.g. Professional License “Berufsausübungserlaubnis” for Nurses, Medical Doctors, Pharmacists, Teachers)
Please note that you will not be allowed to take up employment with a job-seeker visa. Your visa will however be changed to a residence permit for employment in Germany, once you have found adequate employment.
The submission of the above-mentioned documents does not guarantee that a visa is granted. Submission of incomplete documentation or refusal to appear for a visa interview may result in the rejection of your application.
Please return to our website and continue with step 2 of the application process.
Download this checklist as pdf.
(as of November 2022)