NOTE: A visa for an intended marriage in Germany can only be granted if a certificate of intended marriage (“Anmeldung zur Eheschließung”) issued by the competent German Civil Registrar has been issued stating that a date for the wedding has been scheduled. It is therefore vital to check with the German Registrar’s Office in the town where you want to get married which documents have to be submitted in Germany in order to obtain this certificate.
Please make sure that you present all the documents applicable as per the checklist when taking your appointment at VFS Global/ the competent German Mission. Failure to do so may result in our inability to process your application and you having to book a new appointment.
In order to apply for a visa for an intended marriage, it is sufficient to present a confirmation from the German Civil Registrar that this document has been applied for, the certificate of intended marriage may be submitted at a later date prior to visa stamping.
- Valid passport (issued within the last 10 years and valid for at least another year as of date of visa application; passports with observations regarding name, date of birth, place of birth and sex cannot be accepted); passport must have at least two empty pages
- Application form, declaration form and contact information form duly filled & signed
- Personal covering letter explaining the exact purpose and duration of stay
- Copy of the first and last page and all pages containing entry stamps/visas of your passport (A4 size copy)
- Copy of all data pages and pages containing entry stamps/visas of your fiancé/e’s passport (A4 size copy)
- Copy of fiancé/e’s residence permit (“Aufenthaltstitel”) for Germany, if applicable
- Verpflichtungserklärung by German sponsor
- Certificate of residence (“Meldebescheinigung”) of the fiancé/e living in Germany, not older than 6 months
- Proof of German knowledge (A1 level): “Start Deutsch 1” from Goethe-Institute or “Start Deutsch 1” of telc GmbH (The European Language Certificate) or “Grundstufe Deutsch 1” of the Austrian Language Diploma (ÖSD)
Please note that – under certain circumstances – there are exemptions from this requirement.
For further information please refer to “Information of German language requirement”
- Certificate of intended marriage (“Anmeldung zur Eheschließung ”) issued by German CivilRegistrar, not older than 6 months OR confirmation from the German Civil Registrar that this document has been applied for
- Copy of all documents submitted to the German Civil Registrar in order to obtain the certificate of intended marriage
- Proof of Residence in India (Aadhaar Card (unique identification card) or Voter’s ID)
- 2 passport pictures according to biometric specifications, not older than 6 months
- Visa fee
Please prepare two identical application sets with the above-mentioned documents and bring all your original certificates along. Please DO NOT staple any documents.
In case a document is not written in German or English, it has to be submitted together with notary attested English translation.
Please note that the German Missions reserve the right to ask for additional documents or to initiate a further investigation of certificates, for which additional fees would be charged. Click here to find out about the charges for the verification.
As your application will also be forwarded to the competent immigration authorities in Germany, processing will take at least three months. Please be informed that regular status enquiries during the first three months after submission of your application will not be answered.
In case of visa approval, you will be requested to present a travel health insurance (Kindly click here to know more about the travel health insurances accepted).
Submission of the above-mentioned documents does not guarantee that a visa will be granted. Submission of incomplete documentation or refusal to appear for a visa interview will delay your application and may result in the rejection of your application.
For further information please refer to https://india.diplo.de/in-en/service/-/2288440
Download this page as pdf.