Visa Newsletter 29.11.2022 - National Visa - Professional Recognition

29.11.2022 - Article

We would like to circulate some important messages regarding the processing for National visa applications.

The following group of applicants is affected by this update:
- Skilled workers who would like to work in Germany in a regulated profession

Which professions are regulated in Germany?
Regulated professions are professions in which Germans and non-Germans are only allowed to work if they have obtained a very specific qualification. This applies primarily to the health sector as well as safety and social services, for example medical practitioners, lawyers or teachers. Professional titles such as “Engineer” are also regulated.

If your profession is regulated or not, you can find out here: https://www.anerkennung-in-deutschland.de/en/pro/profi-filter

What should I do if my profession is regulated?
If you want to work in one of these regulated professions, then you will always need the certificate of official recognition of your foreign qualifications – regardless of your country of origin.
During the procedure of official recognition, the authorities will also check if they can grant you a licence to practise the profession. The recognition procedure includes the examination whether your professional qualifications are comparable to the German reference occupation. Your professional experience is also relevant.

You can apply for the recognition notice (“Anerkennungsbescheid/ Gleichwertigkeitsbescheid”) at the competent authority.

This authority can be found here: https://www.anerkennung-in-deutschland.de/en/interest/finder/profession
If your qualification is fully recognised, you may be authorised to practice a professional activity or carry a certificate of state recognition.

Are recognition of my qualification and recognition through “anabin” the same thing?
No. If you want to qualify as a skilled worker (see our checklists for employment) and you have obtained your higher education qualifications in India, you are required to prove that your foreign academic qualifications are recognised as equivalent in Germany. This applies for regulated and not regulated professions.

The anabin database provided by the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) provides more information on this matter: https://anabin.kmk.org

If your degree is not mentioned in the database or mentioned as only partly equivalent, you will have to obtain a Statement of Comparability. Please see here: https://www.kmk.org/de/zab/statement-of-comparability.html

If you want to work in a regulated profession, you will have to check your degree on anabin and go through the recognition of your qualification in addition.

Find more information here: https://www.make-it-in-germany.com/en/working-in-germany/recognition/who-needs

And here: https://www.eu-gleichbehandlungsstelle.de/eugs-en/eu-citizens/information-center/professional-qualifications

Should I also get my qualification recognised even if my profession is not regulated?
Even if not necessary, recognition is always useful and recommended, because it brings advantages when applying for a job, changing jobs or negotiating salaries in Germany. Your skills can be immediately identified.

Please bear in mind that this information does not pertain to Schengen visa applications.

Top of page