Please make sure that you present all the documents applicable as per the checklist when taking your appointment at VFS Global/ the competent German Mission. Failure to do so may result in our inability to process your application and you having to book a new appointment.
• Valid passport (issued within the last 10 years and valid for at least another year as of date of visa application; passports with observations regarding name, date of birth, place of birth and sex cannot be accepted); passport must have at least two empty pages
• Application form, declaration form and contact information form duly filled & signed
• Personal covering letter explaining the exact purpose and duration of stay
• Copy of the first and last page and all pages containing entry stamps/visas of your passport (A4 size copy)
• Guarantee letter from the principal or shipping agent in Germany:
Guarantee letter which confirms that the principal or shipping agent will assume liability in accordance with § 66 to 68 of the AufenthG for the full period of the visa validity
Has to mention a boarding date NOT earlier than 6 weeks after visa appointment
- Invitation letter from the employer
- Invitation letter has to explicitly mention the ship on which the applicant will start working
• Declaration from the employer that the ship will not be changed during the visa process or prior to arrival in Germany.
• Proof of Residence in India: Aadhaar Card or Ration card of the applicant covering the past 4 years or Voter’s ID
• Ship Register
• Employment Contract containing the following information:
- Compliance and guarantee of the minimum wage law in Germany
- Countries in which the work will take place
- Working Hours
- Off days and periods of rest
- Name of the ship
- Ships route /Sections of the river
Separate confirmation by the employer for every point not mentioned in the contract
• 2 passport pictures according to biometric specifications, not older than 6 months
• Health Insurance for the entire duration of the contract (travel health insurance not accepted)
• Visa fee
Please prepare two identical application sets consisting of copies of the above-mentioned documents. Please DO NOT staple any documents.
In case a document is not set up in German or English, it has to be submitted together with a notary attested English translation.
Submission of the above-mentioned documents does not guarantee that a visa will be granted. Submission of incomplete documentation or refusal to appear for a visa interview will delay your application and may result in the rejection of your application.
For further information please click here.
Donwload this page as pdf.
(updated July 2022)