Please check our main visa page for any general queries related to visa.
Visa Fees at VFS:
All customers are requested to pay the visa fees at the time of submission at VFS. Only the visa officers at the Consulate can decide whether an exemption of visa fees applies. For cases where an exemption of visa fees applies, an applicable refund will be credited to the applicant at a later date. We ask for your cooperation in this matter.
Please refer to our visa page for all queries regarding Schengen visa
Please refer to our visa page for general queries regarding National visa
For latest Visa News and Updates, click here
Please find below specific information regarding national visa applications at the visa section in Mumbai:
The submission of visa applications is possible ONLY with an appointment! – Either at the visa section directly or at our external service provider VFS.
While booking a visa appointment, please pay Attention that:
- You book your appointment under the correct visa category.
- The appointment bookings are only valid for the person mentioned on the confirmation, the assigned visa category and the assigned appointment date and time. However, minor children (applying for family reunion/dependant visa) do not need a separate appointment and may come along with their parent(s) for visa application.
- If you fail to provide complete and correct information, your appointment booking will be considered invalid, and you will not enable you to submit your application.
We recommend all applicants to book their visa appointments themselves. Assigning a visa agency will not result in an earlier appointment and errors made by the visa agencies/agents when booking the appointment will be at your own risk.
In order to reduce waiting times, we have altered our appointment handling system:
1. Beginning April 2022, spouses and minor children of holders of national visas or residence permits under the following categories will be eligible to submit their applications for a family reunion visa at VFS together with the reference:
• EU Blue Card Holders
• Holders of ICT Cards
• Internal Staff Exchange
• Guest scientists and academics from universities and other publicly funded institutions
• Scholars - only for EU or German public-funding scholarships; (private scholarships or reduced admission fees are not considered scholarships).
-> There is no need for additional appointment bookings for family memebers, if they will be joining you and applying with you on the date of your appointment.
2. The visa section has introduced new sub-categories for family reunion visas. We have teamed up with our partner, VFS, to offer appointments not only at the Consulate but, for selected categories, also at VFS. Therefore, it is essential to book an appointment in the correct sub-category to obtain the earliest possible appointment.
Here is how to do it:
In general, it depends on the residence permit or type of visa that your partner holds. Therefore, please check your partner’s permit or visa sticker for the correct paragraph, and accordingly, choose the correct sub-category for your registration.
Please see how and from where to obtain an appointment
For more information, please visit the VFS Website
From March 2022, all applicants submitting their visa applications at the German Consulate General in Mumbai are requested to complete their courier assurance booking formalities by paying a fee of INR 870 to VFS before their interview date in order to facilitate the easy return of documents. This will also help reduce the visa processing time as your passport will be retained by the Consulate and returned back to you by courier once a decision on your visa application has been made. Please note that this service is not mandatory but offers you the mentioned advantages. You will be contacted by the VFS team for this payment the day before your appointment. We thank you for your cooperation on this matter.
Also: we request you to provide a valid health insurance policy starting no later than your tentative travel date at the time of submission of your application at the counter, so that the visa section may process your application quickly.
Passports cannot be collected at the Visa Section. Handbags and Mobile Phones are strictly prohibited on our premises.
Visitors to the Visa Section or Consular Section at the German Missions in India are not allowed to carry:
i) any form of electronic device (e.g. mobile phones, cameras, tabs)
ii) dangerous objects (in particular knives or weapons)
iii) bags and luggage, umbrellas
iv) any other dangerous items.
- All visitors may carry ONLY the documents that have been asked for and required by the German Mission.
- Please note that the German Missions are not in a position to keep in deposit the above-mentioned objects that are not allowed inside the premises.
- Safeguarding personal belongings outside the premises is the sole responsibility of each applicant.
The visa section does not accept cash. Kindly provide a demand draft with the correct amount.
The demand draft needs to be issued in favour of the Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany Mumbai.
The fee of 45.000 INR for verification of documents in case of certain types of national visas will be asked for later during the procedure and NOT at the time of application.
Only applicants for job seeker visas and speciality cook visas will need to present the demand draft of 45,000 INR at the time of application.
The procedure for submission of the pending documents for National Visa is as follows:
If you receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org regarding a pending document, please submit the document(s) to VFS.
There is no need for an appointment. Please note that the pending document can be submitted at any VFS center. This will be explicitly mentioned in the e-mail that you will receive from us.
When submitting the original document(s), you must bring a printout of the pending e-mail sent to you. You can appoint a third party to submit the original document(s) on your behalf.
The submitted originals will be given back to you with the passport once the application procedure is complete. In case you have not submitted your passport, the originals will be sent to the VFS office in Mumbai and the VFS team will get in touch with you for the document collection process.
From 4th April 2022, the German Consulate Mumbai has not been accepting National Visa pending documents via Email. The documents submitted as a reply to our pending email will be deleted unread.
The procedure for submission of the pending documents for Schengen Visa is as follows:
The pending documents for Schengen visa applications are accepted via Email. Please ensure that the documents are sent to the Email ID email@example.com only.
If you regularly handle visa applications for a large number of people, you may want to Subscribe to our Visa Newsletter.
The visa section of the Consulate General Mumbai informs via e-mail on an occasion-related basis about minor changes or details in the visa procedures. (See Newsletter/Archive)
Please note that we do not answer any visa queries received at the newsletter email ID.
All important changes in the visa procedure are uploaded on the website as well.
If your visa-related query has not be answered by the information given on the website or any other hyperlinked website, kindly get in touch with us via our Contact Form.